Sunday, July 4, 2010

i heart cambodia

Cambodia was an amazing experience just itself. The orphanage I helped at was called Happy House and the kids that live there really were just so so happy. I think that's something I love about kids is that lots of times they're oblivious to the not so great things around them and still play and have friends and are happy and going through life. That's one of the reasons I love pediatric nursing is cause even though they have sick days, they're still kids who are always trying to maximize their fun. I became specail friends with one little girl who I spent almost the whole afternoon with. I will now always love and I wish I could do more for her. It's especially hard when individual people become personal and 'real' to you. That you get to know them and what they're about and who they are. I knew I'd have to deal with that but it was harder than I thought. I had a wonderful time repainting there and the group did so much more for their house in the days after too.
We had some very interesting and rare medical cases too. If you wanna know more about that just ask.
Another exciting thing is that I got to go to Angkor Wat. Definitely didn't think I would get to do something so ridiculously fantabulous while I was there. Before I left I knew there would be a chance I wouldn't get any free time on land so that was above anything I'd hoped for. It took 10 hours to get there on a bus but definitely worth it. We got to see 3 separate ruins and they were basically incredible. I love the art and architecture and culture!!!! It blows me away what they could do with the materials and tools they were working with. Ridiculously intricate!
My team that I've been working with who are mostly Navy or Army personel and one Canadian Forces nurse(!). They're wonderful people and I love them all. We became even closer together in this part of the project and we just work so well together.
Cambodia is gorgeous!!! The landscape is lush and basically a jungle. I became friend with one of the helicopter pilots and we got to fly over Cambodia - holy smokes.
Beautiful country and even more beautiful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment